The Great Bubble Barrier
Help us to protect our oceans and rivers from plastic pollution by supporting our business and financial operations.
As the Business Controller at The Great Bubble Barrier, you will play a pivotal role in shaping the finance strategy and ensuring the financial health of our organisation.
- 32-40 hours per week
- Start date: 1 April 2024
- Fluent in English (Dutch beneficial)
- Based in The Netherlands
- EU working permit
Working closely with the management team, you will contribute to informed decision-making by providing insightful financial analysis, forecasting, and strategic recommendations. Your responsibilities will span financial planning and analysis, cost control, reporting, and compliance, with a focus on optimising resources to support our mission of cleaning rivers from plastic pollution.
Additionally, you will oversee our financial administration with the support of our dedicated Financial Administrator. Your collaborative approach will be crucial in coordinating with the Financial Administrator to maintain accurate financial records, streamline administrative procedures, and contribute to the overall efficiency of our financial operations.
This role offers a unique opportunity for professional growth, with a potential pathway to advance into a Finance Director position. As you demonstrate your expertise and contribute to the success of our organisation, you will have the chance to take on increased responsibilities, lead in financially strategic initiatives, and play a key role in shaping the future financial landscape of The Great Bubble Barrier.
If you are a dynamic finance professional with a passion for sustainability and a proven track record in business control, we invite you to join our team and be a key driver in our quest for cleaner and healthier water ecosystems.
Financial planning and analysis
- Develop and maintain financial models to support strategic decision-making.
- Provide insights into key financial metrics – KPIs.
- Collaborate with department heads to create and monitor annual budgets.
Reporting and Forecasting
- Prepare accurate and timely financial reports for internal and external stakeholders.
- Generate financial forecasts and identify potential risks and opportunities.
- Ensure compliance with financial regulations and reporting standards.
Cost Control and Optimisation
- Analyse cost structures and identify opportunities for efficiency improvements.
- Implement and monitor cost control measures to enhance overall financial performance.
- Provide strategic financial guidance to the management team.
- Collaborate on the development and execution of long-term financial plans.
- Assess and recommend financial strategies to support organisational goals.
- Making sure the administration is complete and correct, in collaboration with our Financial Administrator.
- Working together with the finance administrator to optimise financial processes.
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS
- Intermediate or Secondary Vocational Education (MBO-4) with a diploma in Business Administration or the equivalent of job-related and educational experience
- 2-3 years of experience in financial or business control
- Knowledge of general bookkeeping, accounting, and filing procedures and practices
- Experience with accounting software (preferably ExactOnline) and Microsoft Office programs, proficiency in Excel
- Experience working with the Dutch tax system.
- Competencies: pro-active, organised, structured, communicative and open-minded
- Experience working in small teams, startups and/or NGOs is a pro.
- Good command of the English language both written and verbal. Speaking Dutch is a benefit but not necessary.
- Affinity with ocean health, sustainability and/or preventing plastic pollution.
- Working from the Netherlands & EU citizenship or a valid EU work visa is required to be considered a viable candidate
WHAT WE OFFER
We are a young and fast-growing scale-up dedicated to improving our rivers and oceans’ health. You’ll be joining us in our mission, working in a fun environment with a team of passionate and talented people.
- Salary indication: €3.100 – to €3.400 – Euros gross based on 40 hours/week, plus holiday allowance of 8%
- 20 holidays + 5 company closing days (based on 40h/week)
- Travel cost compensation (public transport)
- Flexible work hours / working remotely possible.
- Room for your ideas to improve processes.
- Free lunch, social drinks, and team events
- Centrally located office in Amsterdam, at the vibrant Marineterrein
Ready to make some positive impact with our passionate and talented team? We’re looking forward to meeting you! Questions? Don’t hesitate to contact us!
HOW TO APPLY
Would this role suit you? Send us your resume and cover letter (in English) to us via the 'Apply now' button below.